Out of all the things that can get out of control fast, electrical fires are high on the list. Good electrical wiring is a major preventative measure. Bad electrical wiring is a surefire way to spark a flame that could cause serious damage.
If you want to prevent that danger from threatening your home, then pay attention for these warning signs that are telling you to change out your wiring:
- Outlets are warm to the touch. Even after hours of usage, the outlets attached to your wall shouldn’t be hot to the touch.
- You hear a buzzing coming from the wall outlets. Unlike appliances like a fridge, where a hum is expected, your wiring is meant to conduct electricity quietly.
- The wiring in your house is aluminum. Electricians used to use aluminum, but modern copper wire is safer by far. If you’re not sure whether your wiring is aluminum or not check the exposed sections around your electrical panel, basement, or attic to check for an ‘Al’ label.
- Electricity is sparking when you’re using appliances. While this could be more indicative of an issue with the specific appliance that’s throwing off sparks, if more than one appliance is misbehaving like this, then your wiring may be at fault.
- The circuit breakers keep tripping. Depending on whether or not you just got new appliances or you haven’t replaced your electrical panel in over twenty years, your wiring may not be to blame. But if your electrical load hasn’t changed recently, then the wiring becomes a better culprit.
- The outlets in your kitchen/bathroom are wrong. It’s important to have the proper GFCI protected receptacles, GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). These are the outlets that have the rectangular reset buttons. If they weren’t installed where they’re needed, this should be done for your safety.
- Lights keep flickering at odd times. Of course, sometimes weather or issues with the power company results in spotty lighting, but other than that, look to the wiring.
- There are weird burning smells around your house. This is a no-brainer. If something seems extremely wrong, it probably is.
- You see signs of a rat infestation. Beyond the diseases vermin can bring, you need to anticipate the damage these unwelcome guests can do to your wiring. Chewed-through and gnawed-on wires are just as dangerous as old and frayed wires.
Replacing your wires is harder than deciding to replace them. But that’s where M. R. Electricians comes in. Our pros have decades of experience under their belts and are ready to help. Call us at 301-871-0477 (for Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC), or 727-422-0391 (for Florida).