Everybody knows that water and electricity make for a dangerous duo. Water can potentially short circuit electronics or carry a charge to electrocute you. The same principles apply to electrical wiring. If you suspect water has come in contact with wiring or any of your electrical devices or appliances, then take extra caution.
How Does Water Damage Wires?
Electrical wiring works by running charge through a wire and then using a neutral wire to complete the circuit between the source load and whatever is plugged in on the other end. Ground wires are often included to increase safety by redirecting faulty charges.
Water disrupts the normal function of wiring. It acts as a conductor that can redirect the electricity so that it bounces back and forth between the water and wires until the wiring is corroded or something that can be shocked (like you) comes in contact with the water.
The insulation of modern wiring is very good at keeping the thin metal wires safe and dry, but if some of the wire gets exposed and wet, then it ought to be replaced. If you experienced more than twelve inches of flooding, then consider calling in a professional electrician to check and replace any issues. Flood waters can also harbor contaminants that further endanger the wiring and your health.
How To Tell If Wiring Is Damaged
Wiring isn’t meant to be exposed nor seen, but even if you can’t see it, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been compromised. Here are some clues that you can look out for if you suspect your wiring was water damaged:
- Buzzing noise from lights or light switches
- Circuit breaker keeps tripping
- Water leaking out from sockets
- Appliances not working in certain sockets
If you have any reason to suspect your wiring has been water damaged, then it’s best to call a professional. If you can see water making contact with a live wire, then remember that you can turn off the power main until safety is ensured.